Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Stubbornness can be inherited

Stubbornness is a trait (hmmm is that the right word?) that seems to run in my family. I believe it runs on my mom's side of the family, sorry mom!

To understand this stubbornness that runs in my family we have to start with my Mamaw. I would say she is probably one of the most stubborn women I have ever met. If she didn't want to do something, she didn't do it. If she didn't agree with you, her opinions were rarely ever changed. I do not think I really understood how stubborn my Mamaw was until I was a teenager. After my Pappy had passed away, my Mamaw stooped into what I can only describe as depression. I mean who wouldn't? and that's when I noticed how stubborn she really was. There were a few times where she refused to come to Christmas or Thanksgiving. Many times where she refused to see anyone's, mostly my mom's points of views. I saw how much that hurt my mom. My Mamaw relaxed a little more right before she had her stroke. However she's still stubborn, even with the physical disabilities she's left with because of her stroke. Her stubbornness still goes strong.

But the stubbornness doesn't stop at her. My mom has a bit of it in her, so do my brothers. I hate to admit it but so do I. If I honestly don't want to do something, I won't do it. Or I'll drag my feet the whole way, while doing it. Here is an example, when I was probably about 9 or 10 our family was playing a game, charades, a game which I hate by the way. It was my turn to act something out. I didn't want to, so I flat out refused to. This refusal turned into a big ordeal and finally my mom, who is also stubborn, said fine, you're not playing anymore. It's a funny memory now, but that is how our family's stubbornness coincides with one another.

I have two brothers. Both are stubborn in their own ways. My younger brother is stubborn when it comes to what he believes and his opinions. If you don't agree with him, it upsets him. My older brother is stubborn when it comes to listening to anyone else's opinions. But that's ok, because this trait makes them who they are.

It seems as though this baby I am carrying also possesses this same trait! Two days ago we went for my 19 week ultrasound. My mom went with me and we were both excited to know what the gender is. However after the tech did all her measurements and took forever to tell us anything (baby is completely healthy!) she informed us that although this baby is completely active and wouldn't stop moving, something she/he gets from my husband, this baby was sitting cross-legged Indian style (which I do all the time) and refused to let us see the gender. So unfortunately we didn't get to see what I am carrying, which is driving me nuts! It was a combination of my baby's stubbornness and the fact that we had a very mediocre not very good ultrasound tech. But I have come to terms with the fact that I may not get to know and will have to plan a gender neutral nursery.

I am just thankful this baby is healthy and has all his/her fingers and toes!


I personally think Ultrasound pics look creepy. But I do believe I have an adorable baby!


This is not a profile picture, unfortunately tech didn't give us one, this is my stubborn baby facing my spine (so no face in this pic just back of the head) and it shows shoulder, elbow and fingers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment