Friday, January 20, 2012

"getting on with life"

Sometimes I feel as though people just don't understand. And it's true, unless someone has also lost a child or grandchild, they don't understand.  I know I didn't understand until this happened. I get the vibe sometimes that I'm just expected to "move on with life". Like doing that is so easy. It's not easy. I feel as though I'm in a black haze. frozen. My heart rebreaks everyday. Everyday I wake up and I come to the realization that no this was not just a bad nightmare, everything is still the same, and David is still gone.

However, if someone has never experienced this, they believe it is easy to pick up and move on with life. I have gotten so much "advice" from people. And I love the friends and people in my life who love me enough to make an effort to make sure I'm doing ok. But I don't need advice. I just need to grieve. I don't need to be told that I have to keep going because life doesn't stop for anyone. I know that. I don't need to be told how long I should wait to get pregnant again. I don't need to be told that life isn't fair. I don't need to be given advice on how to make my body more healthy. I don't need to be told David's in a better place. I don't need to be told that there's a reason for everything. I know all these things.

What I need is to grieve at my own pace. What I need is for everyone to be patient with me. What I need is for people to understand "getting on with life" just is not possible for me right now. I'm not sure when it will be.


his little hand

I miss David. I miss feeling him moving inside me, and kicking. He was a kicker.

I slept with his hat last night.

It still smelled like him... like oranges.

And I cried myself to sleep




So if you feel an urge to "help me along" please resist. It will not help me grieve "any faster" and the more I am told that life moves on and that I need to just continue on with it, the more I will want to dig my heels into the ground and resist.

Kind of like a kid.

6 comments:

  1. honey I love you. You take as long as you need. People are just concerned. They all mean well, we all mean well, but you are right. we don't know. Not at all. but we are here for you just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetie, you are so right! Everyone greives at their own pace and in reality it will never end. We continues to keep you all in our thoughts and prayers. Much love ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I know people just mean well. And I love them for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (oh and I know you understand mom, so does ben,and dad and the rest of the family. I know other people know too.) it was just how i was feeling at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenna no ever knows someone elses pain till they have gone thru it. beong a mother i cant even imagine what ue feelin. Im truely sorry for ur lost and am always thinking of u. i know it a bit different but when i had a misscarriage i felt like i lost a part of me and everythong made me. crying is honestly the best thing to. talk when u want and feel up for it.. tell people u just need a hug and a shoulder to cry on. its not easy and david knows how mich u love him and what a excellent mother u would have been to him. Work thru it all at ur own pace. u have a loving family and friends that will be waiting and are always here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. And honestly I believe it isn't different at all. When you lose a child, miscarriage, still birth, or after birth, it's still a loss and it's still the same. thank you for your encouragement. I know I will be ok, I have a great family who loves me and loves David :)

    ReplyDelete